Is Now The Right Time To Invest in New Cataract Equipment?

Keeping up with the rise of Office-Based Cataract Surgery.

Interest in Office-Based Surgery (OBS) has seen rapid growth since the Covid-19 pandemic halted elective surgeries in 2020. Ophthalmologists are among the early adopters, putting efforts towards moving cataract surgery (for the patients that qualify) to the office-based model.

This could dramatically change things for Hospitals and ASCs that host cataract surgery. A few years ago, hospitals were hosting roughly 35% of cataract surgeries in the US, while ASCs covered the remaining 65%. This was prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, and those numbers have shifted even further in ASCs’ favor. Adding OBS as an option for ophthalmologists to offer their patients takes cataract surgery cases away from both hospitals and ASCs alike.

This begs the question if you are a hospital or ASC administrator…


Is now the right time to invest in new cataract equipment? 


Analyzing the numbers and current trends, it’s likely that investing in new cataract equipment may not be a profitable and smart use of your capital funds. However, not investing may cause your facility to lose surgeons altogether due to cases being taken elsewhere. Generally speaking, surgeons love new technology, and we’ve seen many surgeons move their cases to other facilities just to operate with newer technology. 

This creates a sort of conundrum for administrators who feel the pressure to spend capital that (truthfully) may be a bit of a risky investment.

Save your capital $$ and let Surgical Direct upgrade your cataract equipment. 

Surgical Direct’s Mobile Cataract Services allows you to gain access to today’s latest technology without investing any upfront capital. We provide a wide selection of phaco platforms, ophthalmic microscopes, ancillary supplies, lens consignments, and highly trained hands-on support for every case.

Working with us…

  1. Eliminates capital budget expenses on cataract equipment
  2. Increases your technology flexibility (switch or upgrade platforms easily)
  3. Eliminates maintenance costs
  4. Reduces in-house inventory management for surgical supplies (we bring it all)
  5. Allows access to any lens you need (we’ll handle the consignments) 
  6. Increases the support level during surgery (our technicians come with the equipment and help with programming, adjusting, and room turnover).

Surgical Direct offers a simple and straightforward “per-case pricing” structure. You only pay for our service on cataract day. This allows you to allocate your facility’s capital funds into other specialties that may bring in more revenue, and help keep your cataract surgeons happy at the same time. It’s a win-win if you ask us!

Want to learn more about our services? Have any questions about how it works? click through below…

Call Us Directly | 314-997-4455

Sign up for a FREE Demo Day

More about our Mobile Cataract Services

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin

We can find the right solution together.

Let’s have a conversation about your unique needs and situation, and together, we’ll determine the best path forward. We are here to help.